Latest News - Republic of Ireland
We are delighted to be entering a new phase in living with the COVID-19 pandemic and would like to thank you for your support over the last 18 months.
We continue to regularly monitor COVID-19 government guidelines, research and statistics in this area and its impact on athletes and volunteers returning to Special Olympics activities. Considerations include but are not limited to:
- Incident levels of Covid-19 across the island
- Physical health, underlying conditions, age and vaccination levels of athletes and/or volunteers
From 20th September 2021, Special Olympics guidance on returning to training is:
Indoor Sports Training
Multiple pods of up to 6 participants will be permitted excluding coaches/ volunteers.
The substantial social distance between individual pods is required (pods are completely separate and independent of one another)
Outdoor Sports Training
Pods of a maximum 15 are no longer required.
Vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals can presently both return to club training and public health measures of 2M Social Distancing, mask-wearing and hand sanitisation continues
We will be adopting this approach until the end of October 2021 unless our monitoring indicates otherwise. We firmly believe this approach helps to manage and minimise risks for athletes and volunteers.
The Return to Activities Protocol and all related documents are all updated and available here.
Please be sure to contact your Regional Office if you have any questions.
Special Olympics Ireland recognises that the roll out of vaccinations are providing invaluable protection against COVID-19 however, the continuance of wearing masks is required by the organisation due to the health vulnerability of our athletes and the benefit of maintaining identified public health guidelines for infectious diseases.
Due to the health vulnerability of people with an ID, Special Olympics Ireland has taken the additional step of requiring mask wearing for club sessions.
- Mask to be worn on the way into and out of the venue and when moving within the venue (unless the individual is exempt)
- Athletes taking part in physical exercise are not required to wear a mask
- Mask to be worn by coaches and volunteers indoors (unless the individual is exempt)
- Recommendation that a mask is worn outdoors and must be worn where 2m distance cannot be maintained (unless the individual is exempt).